Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ribbon Cutting

Yesterday I had the pleasure of joining my fellow Commissioners in opening CPSC’s brand new state of the art testing facility in Rockville, Maryland. The Ribbon Cutting Ceremony gave us an opportunity to discuss many of the benefits of the new facility as well as get a glimpse into the work that is conducted there.

During the tour, I was able to witness first-hand the important technological steps that CPSC staff are taking to ensure the safety of the products that we use on a daily basis. Unlike the prior facility, this new center allows agency scientists and engineers to work together in a central location with the resources they need to do their jobs effectively. In particular, I was impressed by the center’s ability to conduct carbon monoxide alarm testing as well as their new mattress flammability testing chambers.

I want to congratulate all those who put in the time to make yesterday such a success. I am confident that this new facility will help us in our continuing efforts to ensure safety.

No comments: