Friday, January 21, 2011

Shredding the excess

On January 18, 2011 President Obama issued an Executive Order that expressed his desire to eliminate rules that “stifle job creation and make our economy less competitive.” It should come as no surprise that companies and businesses are continuing to face the burden of government regulation and the challenge of providing opportunities and work for individuals throughout the country. In his recent op-ed, President Obama notes that government agencies need to “make sure we avoid excessive, inconsistent, and redundant regulation.”

As a Commissioner of an independent regulatory agency, I want to know how the CPSC can make this initiative a reality. I invite you to tell me which regulations have been costly to your organization or caused greater inefficiency, where there is very little safety enhancement to be derived. I want to know which rules or regulations your company is worried about, so that together we can move forward in creating jobs while also ensuring safety.

Over the next few weeks, and in the spirit of President Obama’s recent Order, I look forward to sharing with you some of the simple changes that I believe would go a long way in making a significant impact in achieving this goal. In addition, I look forward to receiving your examples and input about ways in which we can move the CPSC in the right direction.

1 comment:

Nom de Blog said...

While I'm sure some of the costly, unnecessary, or duplicative regulation is caused by executive branch agencies like CPSC, a good deal of it is certainly caused by Congress passing head-smackingly stupid laws like CPSIA. I'll believe President Obama is serious about this effort to streamline regulation when he gets his buddies in Congress to propose legislation to fix some of these laws. Until then, as far as I'm concerned he's just flapping his word-hole.